Saturday, September 19, 2009

REMEMBER

Hear the sound of rain falling on leaves
Making ringlets in already existing puddles
Coating my face as I raise my eyes to the sky

Misty hills in the distance
Obscured by a curtain of rain
Almost grey in the darker light of a storm
The lush green gone for a moment

Waves hurtling towards cliffs
White foam disrupting the greys and blacks
Hear the gods drumming in the sky
Thunder rolling, in a fight between elements

A breeze so sweet it nearly floors me, kills me
I taste salt and wilderness in the wind
I remember warm sand between my toes
Scalding sand beneath my feet making me dance

Summers by the sea
Bathing, laughing, running, exploring
What life would I have had if I’d stayed?

I wonder if it is too late
Go back changed as I am?
The people I left behind will forgive me for leaving
They will forgive me
Like the hills will, like the rain will

Of all places in the world where I’ve been
This place the sweetest

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem - was this a submission for a specific writing game, or just a free text? My comments are usually dependent on knowing the purpose of the submitted text...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bent,
    The poem is completely independent. No writing game involved... Hope that's okay...

    ReplyDelete